Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Oreo Experience

I came across this young black lady's You Tube clips describing her experiences as an Oreo. An Oreo cookie that is!

*I will school those unaware of what an Oreo means in my next post. It is subjective.


I don't know much about her, like how old she is or what state and town she hails from with these beliefs of hers. But what I did learn? She does not date black men. She doesn't know how to be sassy. She is as cute as a button. She is funny as hell! And so funny that you forgive her for being ignorant about how she really feels.

If you go to You Tube you can view a collection of her clips. I fell out laughing after watching these four clips:





Now.

Quite a few black people are not fans of her clips. They find her to be racist, arrogant, confused, and uppity to say the least.

I, on the other hand, grew up around black people like her in Connecticut. So there was no strong reaction of distaste over her clips. Matter of fact, they did not phase me at all....once you encounter one, you encounter them all.

Maybe, black people like her should bother me a bit.

But why? Or anyone else for that matter. Because she gives us a bad name? She is hurting us? Not in the least bit. How she feels does not affect you or me directly. She is entitled to her crazy off the wall opinions and statements. Whether joking around or not!

Black people who seriously have her attitude are products of their environment. They cannot change how they feel because it is inherent. I believe it has something to do with a deep rooted issue, they have with being black.

I was called an Oreo when I was a young girl and I thought it was hurtful and mean. To tell me that I am less black than what I am and how I feel is just wrong! Especially in a predominantly white neighborhood in Connecticut. It was like survival of the fittest there! Every black kid trying to prove they were blacker than the next. It still exists today too.

I think it's so stupid.

We are all black regardless of our skin color or daily habits. Not to mention that the world, will always perceive us as being black. So, to what degree you are labeled black is irrelevant in the bigger scheme of things.

But I must say.

To see someone make light of being called an Oreo is refreshing. Even if it does appear as though she is over-glamorizing the word Oreo with the whole Barbie doll persona and what not.


The one thing I have an issue with in the black community: the desire to stay as light and white as possible. I guess Oreos have a problem with this.

But to me? It's a form of self hate. Avoiding the sun so your skin doesn't get dark.

One of the most beautiful thing about Black people is the fact that our skin color comes in a variety of beautiful shades. Shades that look ten times more magnificent when darkened even more. So, I cannot wrap my brain around this idea of avoiding the sun in fear of my skin complexion changing.

It's just crazy.

I feel bad for anyone who never enjoys the sun either, because they're lurking in the shade like they're on punishment or something. They have no idea, the amount of Vitamin D and fun in the sun they are missing!

But in all honestly? I don't see the problem with her not dating black men.

If nobody makes a big deal about the Black man who only dates Latino women. Or the White guy who only dates Asian women. Why is it such a big deal that she doesn't date black men? Everyone has there reasons for dating certain people. Now, as long as they aren't talking bad about other races. There shouldn't be a problem.

It sounds more like a personal preference, if you ask me. She is goober. She acknowledged this and mentioned hanging out at Medieval Times....and there not being any black men there. And well...isn't that sort of true? What grown black man do you know hangs out at Medieval Times on the weekend?

*crickets

I am sure there are a couple of them. Lurking around in their weird medieval costumes...giggling in their dorky glasses...and eating popcorn like the goobers that they are! But would you honestly date one of them? Shit. For me, it's a hell no! *And I have dated square black men before too. But there's no point in faking the funk about it. Some black men who hang out with mostly white people are cornballs...goobers and a combination of both to the one hundredth degree.

Period.

End of subject.

So, there you go!

You can follow her on Twitter or like her on her Facebook fan page.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think she is express that most of her stuff falls under satire. However, having been an Oreo it is not usually a title you give yourself it is something label onto you. Pushed and force sometimes by spit, and people pushing you down stairs, and stuffing Oreo wrappings in your locker. Either you get angry or you learn to calm down and joke about it.

    ReplyDelete