Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Hey Barbie, Can You Do This?


"Of course not! You don't wear lace front wigs, like I do. Girl!"

If you're wondering if the doll above is really being sold. Yes is the answer, you weren't ready to hear.

My sister bought this exact one for her friend's daughter and gave it to the poor child at her birthday party yesterday. Smh! She is a quota for buying this too.
And, you don't have to say it! I'll do it for you. This doll is pretty crazy and amazing all at the same time. 

I know.

This bald headed beauty is part of a set of five called Liv Dolls. These dolls have a proportionate size body for a doll, glass-like eyes, can pose in different positions, stand on their own, and of course...

Wear lace front wigs!

I literally gasped for air when my sister pulled this doll out of her shopping bag on Sunday.

I was not ready. I mean, when I was a child. I was subjected to stale ass Barbie with her -4 size waist, ballerina arched feet, cheap hooker clothes, and expressionless 'Stepford Wife' face. 

Oh, how times have changed.  

Each Liv doll comes with two wigs of different styles. But get this, you can also buy additional accessories (two lace front wigs and more clothing) in the accessory package they sell separately. Oh, and the lace front wigs come in regular styles and colors (blond, brown, black), and funky colors and styles like purple too.

[excuse me, while I laugh for a moment]

The Liv doll above is Alexis, and although she looks like a replica of Matel's Beyonce Barbie. She is much more three dimensional, just like the other Liv Dolls. Alexis is into fashion and loves to help her other girlfriends look their best. She has a natural page boy haircut that is actually pretty cute, and she loves changing up her 'hairstyles' also known as wigs throughout the week. 

[giving you the side eye]

She comes with the wig she is holding up in the air and another dark colored one that is short and curly. I also peeped the brown bag that she came with in the box. 

Um...why does it resemble a Fendi Spy bag?

I don't know how to feel about this doll. I almost want to say that it is a little too real. And, I'm not sure that selling a doll with interchangeable wigs is a positive message to send out to young girls. Don't pretend like you can't see the coonery in selling a doll that wears wigs, because I know you do. But I won't even go there. We already know it's wrong. I know me, and I would never buy this doll for my daughter. And only, because I believe dolls like these perpetuate ideas of what you are suppose to look like and do. I would rather buy my daughter a Cabbage Patch Doll, tell her to name it, and then allow her to create an identity of her own for her doll.

But at the same time, I do like the fact that they all have page boy haircuts because that is a first for a doll. I also like that they aren't 'Stepford Wife' dolls like Barbie. From the descriptions I found on them, they possess distinctive personalities. They describe the Liv Doll Katie as a tomboy who likes to skateboard and ride Bmx bikes. The Liv Doll Sophie is a hairstylist who is into fashion just like Alexis. The Liv Doll Hayden loves animals and works at an animal shelter, while the Liv Doll Daniela is an aspiring superstar who plays the drums and guitar in a band.

They sound just like characters out of the book series, The Babysitters Club Books. I read them in the fourth and fifth grade and appreciated the difference in each of their personalities.

I don't know?

Maybe, I am being too judgemental. It is just a doll. But aren't dolls like these, just the beginning of little girls formulating ideas of what they should look like in their head?

Just saying.

4 comments:

  1. Hmm! Maybe the gift was given as a message. Hmm some of us need help with our looks just saying! Yes I know this is Quota but you know I only speak the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, now you know your ass is evil, Silky! Haha! But I will say...her daughter's hair looks more put together then her own. Hell, least she's not like 'some' parents who walk around all dapper and well-groomed, when their children look like they've been diving through the sewart all day long. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who said I was talking about the daughter? I say what people think.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, no! I knew you were talking about the mother. You're an evil, b. But you don't talk about people's kids! I was only pointing out that even though her hair looks busted...both of her daughters' hair always looks nice and presentable. Maybe, a good hairdresser is hard to find in the New Jersey area? Could have sworn th best salons in the country were suppose to be there though. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete