Thursday, December 30, 2010

Is New Years Eve the New Valentine's Day?

The reason I ask is because of all the mayhem going on around here!



One of my friends wrote on their Facebook status today, "New Years stresses me out." One of my good friends sent me a bbm that said, "I'm not leaving the house." Another girlfriend of mine is sad because it's a holiday that reminds her that she is alone, like Valentine's Day. While quite a few others are beyond pumped about New Years! Sharing details about their cocktail dresses...locations, and fun-filled agenda for the evening!

[the chaos is vaguely familiar to Valentine's Day]

For me? New Years Eve has been consistently random every year for the past ten years. A couple of times I spent it with ex-boyfriends, other times at church with family, plenty of times with various friends, and in a couple cases doing absolutely nothing but sitting infront of a television wrapped in a blanket!

My first thought was to go out with a bang for Nye! By spending this evening out with my girlfriends, get super dolled up, drink lots and lots of liquor, wave my hands in the air like I just don't care, and then forget who I am the next afternoon. I made no mistake in saying 'afternoon' either.

HOLLA!

But now, I am not opposed to partaking in something a little more low-key. Partly, because Mama has to spend a small fortune on her car. And the idea of going to a more intimate house party with friends that I always have a good time with  is way more appealing, than freezing my tush off outside and spending all of my breakfast and lunch money for three weeks.

And no, I don't eat much anyway. But my normal serving of coffee, fruit, and whatever else is on sale at the grocery store still cost money!

The reason I am relating New Years Eve to Valentine's Day has to do with the fact that the last couple of Valentine's Days, I have received a couple of sympathy invitations from guy friends asking me, if I would like for them to take me out. Two years ago on Valentine's Day, my guy friend called me up, and said "Tanya, I'm taking you out! Get dressed, Woman!" And I said, "okay," in my lonely sad damsel in distress voice. Threw my party dress on and had a blast with him at dinner and the club with friends. Last Valentine's Day, I was sick with the flu and pathetic looking but still forced out the house for dinner by a guy friend. Still had a good time too, surprisingly.

And now? I feel like history is repeating itself with New Years Eve. I received three sympathy invitations this week. But there is no need for this because this is a fun holiday! And nobody has any reason to feel sick or sad. This be the reason right here, I sought out friends and a party to go to on Nye! We can't make ourselves a sad victim or a damsel.

What we should be worried about includes: Where we are going? With whom? Who's the designated driver? And if there isn't one. Who's couch, bed, or closet are you passing out in? That's it! Who cares about the dress? All you're going to do is spill cranberry vodka all over it, like I will on mine.

This is not a holiday for being alone and receiving sympathy invitations. It is a holiday for celebrating the new year through coonish behavior, busting a move on the dance floor, and then falling on your ass and ruining the dress that you purchased from Bloomingdales the prior week.

[cough cough]

There is one wish that I always have every New Years though. It is to celebrate New Years Eve with all of my favorite people under one roof. I cannot think of anything more exciting than partying with all of my favorites for one evening of debauchery! I swear that it would be like the best birthday party x 100!

I am an optimist too.

I will make this happen one of these years!

No comments:

Post a Comment