Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Say What Again?

I decided today there is nothing more entertaining than being blown away by the things children say!

Today a second grader showed me a 'book' she created. It was composed of ripped out coloring sheets with her name written in crayon on the top of each sheet. I said to her, "Tabitha, your book is so so beautiful! I love all of the colors that you used on each sheet too. You will be a good author one day! What's the name of your book?

Tabitha smiles at me, then replies, "The Tabitha Vagina."

Um.

[you just don't understand what this did to me]

I bent down closer to her, and asked her to repeat it. I have a hard time hearing when there is a lot of noise in a room due to my ADD. I just heard her incorrectly. I asked again, "What's the name of it?" Again, she says, "The Tabitha Vagina." I asked her one more time and she said it again! Then gave me a look like, damn girl. I guess you're too immature to handle this. Last time I ever tell you anything!

I am still sitting here blown.

Then a couple days ago, two fifth graders got into a verbal altercation. All I heard was, "Oh, yeah? Well, that's why you look like, Yo Gabba Gabba!" The little girl yelled, "whatever!" Then bursted into tears shortly after walking away.

I'm sorry but I laughed. Who calls people, Yo Gabba Gabba? It was too funny, not to laugh. I turned to the wall to laugh for a good 25 seconds after consoling her and reprimanding him.

I had no idea who this Yo Gabba Gabba person was at all? But I could tell by his name, he was visually outrageous.

Later that day I searched the web and found this:




Guess which one is Yo Gabba Gabba? If you guessed the crazy looking human with the bifocals, orange cat suit and furry grandma hat on, then you guessed correctly.

I can completely understand why she cried now. You could have called me any of those funny-looking creatures behind him, and I would  not have blinked an eye. They aren't human and nothing about them resembles me. But call me this black man who looks like he belongs in a psychiatric ward, and I will start crying too.

I look forward to seeing these kids everyday. I am constantly learning something new and crazy from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment