Sunday, November 21, 2010

For Colored Girls Who Committ Suicide When the Rainbow is Not Enough

WOW!

Is all I can say about that movie. I have a migraine from holding in my cry, not to interrupt other movie goers.

It was passionate, raw, and real.

Kimberly Ellise, Thandie Newton, Phylicia Rashad , and Whoppi Goldberg were my favorite characters in the movie. If they don't get nominated for an award...then the hell with the Academy members because they all deserve one! Period.

I don't want to give the movie away, but it was good.

Tyler Perry did make the men in the movies look like monsters, this is true. But truth be told, there are real monsters out there...that come in many shapes and forms that include men and women too.

The women were all beautiful and damaged, and I loved them with all their imperfections. These imperfections made them beautiful and strong. I never thought it possible to hate and love a character at the same time, but Tyler Perry made me feel that way.

In the end they spoke about the word, 'sorry.' How that word attached to more words, affected them in a way that has shaped their very being.

My final thought after seeing the movie?

Is Tyler Perry gay? Or just a woman trapped in a man's body? How can this man be so accurate in depicting the feelings of women in such an authentic way? Unless you are a woman.

We're not the easiest creatures to understand or read. Or even love. What part of his male being allows him to sympathize with us the way he does? And while I know most men will watch the film, and scold him for depicting them like devils, Perry went ahead and produced this film anyway.

At the end of the day, he could probably care less about how he depicts black folks in his movies. Especially, when him and his wallet sleep just fine at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment