Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Leila Lopes: Miss Angola Crowned Miss Universe 2012


Let me start off by saying that I am not a fan of beauty pageants.

*Just putting that out there to all the dear Feminists in my life.

Now.

I remember watching Miss USA and Miss Universe as a young girl.  Oh'ing and aw'ing over the dresses they wore. Then getting pretty bored after that part. But if I saw a pageant girl of color in the top ten? My eyes were wide open until the end of the pageant.

As a young adult? I started to realize how over-glamorized these shows are on tv. Then started to dislike them all together.

Mostly because pageants appear to be an acceptable way time to exploit pretty women around the world too.

The fact that I was dumped in my early 20s for an ex-beauty pageant girl who drew her eyebrows on every day could have something to do with it too. Even worse than her Mami Chulo eyebrows? How about the fact that her nose looked completely plastic.

I don't know.

Guess I have a thing about black people who get nose jobs. I mean. You can tell whenever we get them done. There is just something about them that looks so unnatural....like they appear either too flat looking from taking out large chunks of our nose in order to make it smaller. Or our nostrils literally look like they're disappearing or receding.

*Just think Nene Leakes and LaToya Jackson. Not combined or your brain will explode.

I'm not against plastic surgery either. I am all for whatever makes people happy!

I think it's safer for black people to refine the tips of their noses though. Not break them down, and create an entirely new nose. Or a new booty....or face.

I am over the generic and manufactured beauties that pageants and music videos show us everyday.

Which is why I have the biggest girl crush on Miss Universe 2012!!!



She's not only beautiful, but a very natural looking 25 year old woman!

To top it all off, she beat 88 of her competitors from around the world to become the first African beauty queen winner in 13 years! The last African winner was Miss Botswana, Mpule Kwelagobe, in 1999.

What a proud moment in pageantry history and black history as well!


When asked about racism after her victory. She said, “It’s not normal in the 21st century to think that way.”

I disagree with her statement because racism is still alive and thriving! It reminded me us of its existence just last month, when I heard that Republican refer to President Obama as a 'Tar Baby.' I mean. Angola could be different culturally from our country. I often hear that our country is one of the most racist countries.

So!

I'll leave this one alone.




When Miss Angola was asked by judges, "What physical trait would you change? And why?" She responded:

"Thank God I’m very satisfied with the way God created me and I wouldn’t change a thing. I consider myself a woman endowed with inner beauty. I have acquired many wonderful principles from my family and I intend to follow these for the rest of my life.”

She's so cute. What a humble and sweet answer to give them!

Considering the fact that she is drop dead gorgeous and could have said something more truthful like, "Are you blind, Dum Dum? Don't be ridiculous! I don't HAVE a physical trait that needs to be changed." Then rolls her eyes and walks off stage giving her 'Haters Gon' Hate' strut.

Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment