Monday, January 24, 2011

Salt or The Social Network?

Which is the better movie?





If you are a movie buff who has seen both please fill this survey out!

My friend and I got into a huge debate over which is the better movie on Facebook a couple of weeks ago.

I am aware that The Social Network won a couple of awards that Salt did not, but this was based upon box office numbers, movie critics and the academy award committee. Box office numbers aren't necessarily a reflection of the best movie in theatres, as much as it reveals how well a movie was marketed by PR teams. I do not always agree with movie critics' superlatives either. These be the same folks who gave Denzel Washington an award for Training Day and Halle Berry an award for Monster's Ball at the same awards ceremony!

I mean, seriously.

Could the academy award committee been any faker in trying to appease their African American actors that year?

Yes, Halle did a good job in Monster's Ball. But Denzel shouldn't have received an award for Training Day. It wasn't that great of a movie! He should have received an award for Malcolm X years before this. An award was long over due to him for his lead role, and many of us knew this. So, the academy award committee tried to make it up to him with Training Day.

This is why the academy award committee has lost all credibility to me!

Salt was creative and kept me on the edge of my seat! This movie kept me guessing from beginning to end what would happen in the next scene. I could not figure out (to save my life) the bad guy from the good guy until the end of the movie too. Did The Social Network make me feel this way? Not even close. It was a true story with very interesting information but everything was very predictable in this movie. There were a lot of typical party scenes, drug scenes...and friends fighting scenes. Stuff we have seen before in other movies, no? So, there wasn't any excitement there to me.

This is why I firmly believe that Salt is the better movie of the two, and numbers aren't always accurate in the depiction of superlatives. There are just too many factors to consider when creating surveys. Now he created a nice one, but there could have been a couple more questions added to it.

But seriously, I could really care two shits what anybody else says!

I didn't say this to him because it got nasty between us for a split second. I was convinced there was a moment in time during our argument that he wanted to cut me up in small pieces and feed me to baby sharks in a aquarium!

So, I keep some comments to myself.

This is why he called our debate on his survey a 'healthy' one.

He does believe that by taking this survey, you will help him understand psychometrics for his dissertation, aide his summer workshop students in understanding data analysis better, and settle a dispute between him and I on which is the better movie.

Please fill out this survey and vote for Salt!

I would really relish in the opportunity to shut him down once and for all.

Help make my dreams come true!

No comments:

Post a Comment